Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Belgium

Keeping up with my world conquest, the country I 'conquered' was Belgium! I spent 5 days in this amazing small country famous for its good beer and rich culture. The kingdom of Belgium has three official languages: Dutch, French, German. Being 'French' the most popular one and mostly used in its capital Brussels.

The first two days I visited Brugge (Bruges, in French) which is the cosy town famous for the film 'In Bruges' starring Colin Farrell. In the main square market one can see the tower (depicted in the photo beside) from which one of the gangsters committed suicide in that film for the price of 8 EUR (It used to cost only 5 EUR before that film went out). The town is quite calm. Even with a tourist crowd it is always possible to find a quiet spot to sit down and talk. So, it's not as messy as Prague. =)
In Bruges, there are few old churches and water channels. I really recommend the 15-minute guided boat ride for 7 EUR and I also recommend having a big bowl of mussels in the city centre for ~21 EUR, it's very popular in there! If you'd like to go there, don't plan more than 2 days. I think 2 days is quite enough to see the best of Bruges.
Following to Brussels, I could say that it was much more impressive than I imagined! The buildings in the main square are so sumptuous that ripped out a 'Woow!' from my mouth! I made few photos in the main square, see below:


The European Union parliament was just close and, by coincidence, they were having some 'open doors' event, so I could see inside it. I felt almost like an European! ;))
Brussels is considered the capital of European Union but some other core buildings are also located in Luxembourg and Strasbourg.
Belgium is not only famous for its beer but also for its variety of good chocolate! Many small shops produce their own chocolate, so one can taste a high-quality fresh chocolate in there! But since I'm a beer guy, I was more focused on the local beer! I tried many of it:


I recommend the wheat beer 'Brugs', the blond 'Delirium' (the one with an elephant on the label), and Westmalle (dark). =)
After having all these tasty beers, it made me think of Czech beer as a joke. ;)

See ya!!!

No comments: