Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Finland: First impressions


Finland, a First world country with an upper-cased "F"! Like all the Scandinavian countries, Finland is highly developed in all matters, very high human development index (HDI), no poverty in the streets, water from the tap is "very drinkable" as they told me here. It's not just tap water with high concentration of chlorine in order to make it drinkable (People do it in some countries). Finland is also very concerned about the environment; all the plastic bottles and cans are sold with a deposit of twenty Euro cents to force the consumer to return the bottle/can for recycling (ok, I've seen it in Germany as well). And what I liked most is that the whole country is like a forest! plenty of trees and lakes everywhere. I'm considering coming here to live for a longer time some day! Just need to find the right opportunity (could be a job or... a woman)!

My first impressions of Finnish people are also very positive. People have manners in here! Drivers really stop their cars for the pedestrians to cross (ok, in Norway as well but definitely not in Poland, Brazil or in Greece!) and most people everywhere speaks good English even though sometimes they might have an unique Finnish accent which is like honey for my ears when spoken by a female (no no, I'm not sexist). Their favourite sport seems to be hockey because I've seen many of them carrying hockey sticks after work, and best of all is that Finland is THE heavy metal country. Very nice bands like Korpiklaani, come from Finland!

I will make a photo album soon! It's just the beginning of my Finnish adventure. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adm.Thiago said...

The description you gave is admirable. However, where are the photos? Come on, man! Let me relish at least the photos. I am stuck in here!

Paulo said...

hahaha in some brazilian cities drivers do stop for pedestrians, specially here in the south ;)

刁陳 said...

you two make a lovely couple............................................................

Nano said...

In Floripa? Only hot blondies driving fast and furious in Jurere Internacional! Zajebiście! :)

Konrad said...

"no no, I'm not sexist" yeah right :D

huntb said...

若有人問你成功時會不會記得他 試問若你失敗時他會不會記得你..................................................

皇銘 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。.................................................................