Monday, 3 August 2009

Dublin (+ Metallica concert)


Unique chance to see Metallica again (yeah!), visit Dublin and drink few pints of Guinness which is one of my favourite beers. Two hundred and fifth years of tradition (precisely on this year). The brewery 'Guinness' established in 1759 by the young Arthur Guinness is a strong mark and its beer is widely known throughout the world. I had the chance to visit the headquarters of Guinness Inc. at St. James's Gate, Dublin 8. There's a possibility to make a tour inside the storehouse. Tickets cost fifteen euros for adults and eleven for students. Includes one pint of Guinness at the end.

Dublin has the highest density of Polish people that I've ever seen out of Poland (And I've been to cities like London and Edinburgh). I could speak Polish in the hostel and when ordering a cheeseburger at McDonald's. I'm now wondering... When will they claim for independence and make Ireland an annex of the Polish territory? So I would be able to move to Dublin only with my Polish Resident Card. :)

Dublin is really a very pleasant city, except for the prices! Everything is at least four times more expensive than in Warsaw (which is the most expensive city in Poland). If you earn in zloty like me, do the math carefully before flying there. :P The spots I visited in Dublin were:



  • City center (Mostly O'Connel St. and Grafton St.) - Definately worth go for a walk, don't forget your umbrella.

  • Dublin's Castle - Not medieval, rather contemporary. Not so interesting to see unless you are passing by.

  • Guinness Storehouse - Already described in the beginning of the post. I highly recommend.

  • Phoenix Park - Nearly the size of Dublin's centre itself. Nice green field for relaxation. Dogs not allowed. I recommend too.

  • Phil Lynott's statue - A "rock" tourist spot on Grafton Street. Phil was the Lead singer of Thin Lizzy. Died in 1986.


Was just a weekend, I couldn't do more. The concert was tiring... Oh, the concert

Dublin is the city of Thin Lizzy, my favourite band. This t-shirt I was wearing on the photo above was a gift from a friend who also likes Thin Lizzy. That t-shirt was responsible for my "success" in Dublin. Many people on the streets came to me to say things as: "Thin Lizzy is the best band, dude!" or "Yeah! Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak!!" (Which is part of the lyrics from their famous song: "Jailbreak").

Thin Lizzy was(is?) one of the main influences of Metallica's James Hetfield who liked to perform alongside them whenever Metallica is in Dublin. Unfortunatelly, Thin Lizzy couldn't even perform on saturday due to an injury on the back of their drummer. Metallica just performed the Thin Lizzy's classical 'Whiskey in the jar' on their own (See video below).

Metallica performed at Marley Park in Dublin with Avanged Sevenfold, Alice in Chains and Mastodon. It's the Death Magnetic's tour. The setlist had twenty songs, including "Killing time" featuring the lead singer of the band "Sweet Savage" and four songs from the new album:



  • All nightmare long

  • The day that never comes

  • Cyanide

  • Broken beat and scarred


I recorded part of the performance of the song "Whiskey in the Jar" which hadn't been performed by Metallica for a while:





People started asking me already: "Nano, where is your next stop?" - My parents started to worry about me. They think if I keep travelling a lot I will be fired from work! hehe! I'm just trying to accomplish my mission! Several countries yet to be visited. Stay tunned. :P


For full album of photos from the sightseeing and the concert, click here!

4 comments:

Mary said...

umbrella? what for? sunny Ireland :))

Saoirse said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sara

http://pianonotes.info

Nano said...

Oh! Thank you, Sara.

I can take this as a compliment. :)

Best wishes,

Nano.

Ticketwood said...

I’ve seen Metallica many times and loved every single second of the concert! They are my favourite heavy metal band!!! This weekend I’m going to attend Metallica concert with my sister I just compared tickets prices at Ticketwood.com
Can’t wait to be there!!!