Friday, 14 November 2008

Romanian hospitality


Romania is an unique country, a Latin country in its origins but a bit lost among many Slavonic countries such as Slovakia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Ukraine and Serbia. Similarities can be found due to the history they share with the Soviet Union.

Romanian language is similar to Italian. I can understand 30% to 40% of what people speak due to the fact that I speak native Portuguese. Likewise most of post-communist countries, almost nobody speaks English on the streets. Not even in McDonalds in Bucharest. :P

People are friendly and warm, their hospitality are great and best of all, it has the taste of home-made chocolate and berries' liquor. :)
I was invited by my good friend Miu (or Milita) to go for a ride on a tradicional Romanian car (Dacia) and visit the Bran Castle (also known as: "Dracula's Castle"). Dracula, son of Dracul, also known by many different pseudos such as "Nosferatu", "Vlad", and etc. Became famous after one British writer, Bram Stoker, has released the book "Dracula" in 1897 (not sure exactly).

Many things people say are not true. He wasn't able to transform himself into a bat and he also hasn't influenced Batman's uniform design. These are myths. What is true, is that he used to suck blood from virgins' necks, which made him an idol among adepts of the brutal machismo(exaggerated masculinity). The rest of the people he killed he hanged in the fance outside the castle, in order to intimidate betrayers.

Few photos in the castle (Click to enlarge):



  • First photo is the outside view of this haunted castle.
  • Second photo shows some message in the wall, in the main entrance. I don't know what it means.
  • Third photo shows the edge, the highest tower of the castle.
  • Fourth photo shows Mili, official Dracula's guide and best Romanian friend.

Bucharest

At the end of my short trip to Romania, I visited Bucharest, their capital and biggest city.

Bucharest reminded me a lot the city of Sao Paulo. Traffic jam, crowded shopping centers and streets.

This photo on the left shows one of the main streets in the city. It leads straight to the Parlament Palace. One of the main spots to visit in Bucharest.

I promess I won't miss the flight again, so I will have more time to visit this capital! I lost two flights already this year. I'm becoming very experienced!! :)

Full photo album (up to 80 photos) available here.

Check also Mili's post on this trip, by clicking here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
polish_nano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doublebanker said...

Would love to make it to a BFMV concert, I'm quite jealous. My favorite song is Tears Don't Fall.