Wednesday, 3 September 2008

One year has passed...


The big adventure that changed (and still changes) my life started on the 2nd of September of 2007, when I left my tropical and beautiful hometown in Brazil to face a totally different culture and lifestyle, starting everything from scratch.

I have to admit the farewell was difficult. It's not easy to buy one-way ticket and say good-bye to family and friends. It's the the price of taking the red pill. I knew I was passing the point of no return.

Among my memorable last moments in Brazil I shall mention: my band's last concert - MONSTER MASH, the farewell party at my aunties' house and my graduation on Computer Science at Universidade Federal da Bahia (a.k.a. UFBA) - memorable days for sure!!

The first photo above was taken during my farewell party on 31th, Aug 2007. From the left: Vitor, Bruno Leo, Guigo, Me, Daniel, Valdeir, Bruno Celino. Good colleagues. With them we defeated the bad professors! :)


Below there are photos from the MONSTER MASH last concert! First photo shows our assistent preparing my make-up. Ok, I know it sounds a bit poser but dont worry it's pure horror punk metal! The second photo shows our lineup: Nano(guitar and backing vocals), Duda(Vocals and dancing), Grilo(drums), Alelas(bassist). And the third photo shows Almeidao(who recently visited me in Wrocław) and Bessinha, the craziest fun of MONSTER MASH! Click to enlarge.



...and my graduation official photo. From the left: Oriva, Nano, Lage, Helton, Amadeu, Monica and the rightmost dude who I just can't recall the name. :P

I know I look funny in these photos but they are memorable anyway. :)




Coming back to the main subject: POLAND

People keep asking me: "Why Poland?" - As long as Poland is not a top destination for international travellers. But that was exactly what I was looking for. When I first attempted to book tickets to "WRO" (IATA code for Wroclaw) - The travel agent innocently tried to warn me: "No one flies to there" - perhaps thinking I was mistaken about the destination code - I just gave her a smile and replied: "I know".

The flight took around eleven hours (without the time spent for flight connections) plus six hours by train from Warsaw to Wroclaw. When I finally arrived I felt like Peter Pan arriving in Neverland.

I was very lucky to find an job opportunity in a company in Poland. I wasn't so criterious on choosing the company I just wanted to go somewhere else, preferebly some far, cold and unexplored country. Fortunately, the fine atmosphere at work and my happiness of living a dream joined together into sinergy contributing to my success and self-realisation.

Learning Polish language was part of the plan. The more I tried to learn it, the more motivated I was. As very few people choose Polish language as second or third language. It's difficult to find some non-native speaker. Polish people normally don't expect a non-Polish individual to speak Polish. They keep saying it's very hard language. I always got compliments for trying to speak in their way most of the time.

After one year living in "Wroclove", I don't feel any cultural shock anymore and I really got acostumated not only with Polish lifestyle but with the European lifestyle in general. Best part of living in southwest of Poland is the proximity to nice places such as Prague, Berlin and the Slovak paradise. ;)

What's next? Adventure goes on.

2 comments:

Mili said...

Dear Nano,
It was great to read your post about this whole year that passed since u went to Polamd..reading about your experience I thought about my own exp and had strange feelings in my stomach:) still I can imagine u take only the bright side of things and see this whole complex package as a great experience that is happening to you:) What can I say, explore as much as u can with a good sense and responsibility:) Hugs, Mili

Edimiuçu said...

nice text nano! i've been in wroclove for just four months but it really make some facts come again in my mind. Like the first day I got in poland when I was so dizzy and confused and I didnt knew you and our general Luis very well. But I also felt in love for this country and their people. I remember one day that you said that I was lucky because I found the best aiesec internship without looking for it that much and now I see that I completely agree with you
take care my friend and keep enjoying!