Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Cooking bash at Przegubowiec

It was unavoidable! One day we knew it would happen... a cooking day! Since I got here in Poland I wondered how I would survive only eating fried eggs, instant macaroni and frozen pizza. My roommate from Holland (Tjeerd) cookies really good, but he says he's only a hobbist, not a chef! - Fact: He has a really good cooking book written by a famous British cooker(I forgot his name now).
Since back then, Tjeerd tried to break my laziness and make me go to the kitchen. He even gave me a polish cooking book as a desperate attempt to make me feel motivated to cook because he knows I love everything labeled as "from Poland" :P - So, when I finally decide to cook something, Kay, as a coincidence, invited everyone to cook Italian food with her (she used to work on a Italian restaurant).
My attempt was to cook a pork with some special sauce, served with rice. Humm... as Alisha loves pork meat, she helped me to find the proper ingredients to make it. The recipe was:

PORK STEAKS SIMMERED IN RED WINE SAUCE
(Kotlety Wieprzowe, Duszone w Czerwonym Winie)

4 boneless pork loin steaks
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon raisins
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup red wine

Brown the steaks in oil, then remove from skillet. Saute the onion and mushrooms until golden in the drippings. Return the steaks to the pan, add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for an hour or more.

It tasted really good and made me feel a bit proud of myself. Being a chef is not a mission impossible.

Photos:

No comments: